At the start of the Twentieth Century, Eastchurch was still essentially an agricultural settlement
But change was on the way.
The Sheppey Light Railway (SLR), running between Queenborough and Leysdown, opened in 1901. Due to the hill on which Eastchurch sits, the railway could not be brought into the village itself, so the station was built half a mile to the south together with a siding for agricultural use.
The railway brought pressure for development and land companies started selling building plots all over the Island. This steadily increased both the resident population. and number of holidaymakers passing through on their way to Leysdown and Warden.
The railway was also important to the Short Brothers who moved their aircraft factory from Leysdown to a new site near Eastchurch station in 1910.
Although never an economical success the railway reached its zenith in the 1930's and served Eastchurch well during both world wars. The Sheppey Light Railway finally closed in 1950.