Population and Education
In 1800 the population of the Parish was less than 400 people of which about half lived in the 30 or 40 houses which comprised the village itself. The remaining 200 being spread through the local agricultural community.
Education of the children at this time was conducted in the Lady Chapel of All Saints Church. The cost being funded from the rental proceeds of an orchard and house, deeded to the Patrons of Eastchurch in 1721 by the Reverend Richard Foster, for the education of children of the poor.
In 1841 the population had risen to over 1000. This rapid growth almost certainly resulted from the reconstruction of Sheerness Dockyard causing a boost to the local economy.
Education in the Parish then took another step forward in 1840. Robert Holford, then owner of Shurland Hall, gave part of Shurland meadow to the Church for building a school and schoolmasters house for teaching the children of the poor. This school still exists today.